Sunday, November 11, 2007

Panda's

After reading Andrea's post and since I was in one of the pictures, I thought I would blog about it.

I empathize about feeling like a "panda." I feel like I am treated like that often. But sometimes people will just treat me like a person and not some object to be stared at. I have also felt the unbelonging that she feels and is expressed in her post, but sometimes I get the feeling I do belong. I do not believe that everyone treats gaijin like "pandas." I feel welcomed when I am able to speak Japanese and are responded to in Japanese and not given some English supplement. But as Andrea points out more often then not we are labeled as "pandas." Andreas pictures are able to express that feeling. The picture with me in it was a very awkward situation. While I had the ablity to refuse I just didn't know how to politely refuse. It also felt like it was easier to get a sale from foriegners because I never saw Japanese people stuck in that situation. So I felt singled out because it is harder to refuse when you dont have mastery of the language.

The second picture at the danjiri festival does really capture the feeling of be a "panda." It seems like they were just dragged out due to being gaijin. I know that some people will always view gaijin this way, but there are other who treat us like any other person. I hope that one day Japan opens its doors wider and be more accepting about gaijin in their country.

Why is Japan so in love with foreigners, but at the same time despises them?

1 comment:

visual gonthros said...

"Why is Japan so in love with foreigners, but at the same time despises them?" Good question. But some people refer to this situation as "gaijin privilege." When foreigners do the right thing, they are praised (and sometimes rewarded), and when they make a mistake it is not such a big surprise (and thus foreigners can get away with it!).

How are foreigners treated in your own country? I'm not suggesting that you are as ethnocentric as many Americans are, but not all Japanese treat foreigners as pandas either...