Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Holiday in Japan

r
A little girl enjoying herself while watching a monkey run around on the fence. I have been wondering about animals place in Japanese culture. Many animals were incorporated into mythology such as the tanuki, kitsune, and the monkey. But as for the role for animals today, it seems to fill the role of amusement like most cultures. I find it interesting that most of Japan's population lives in the cities and to see animals in the wild must be a treat. Everyone there loved these monkeys. To me they were kinda of frightening, but I guess when you are protected by a chainlink fence you can can enjoy it just a little more.

This picture is of the sea of people that crashed on the shores of Arashiyama. Arashiyama is a very famous place especially for its こうよう(fall leaves). I went here over the break we had and I had never before seen so many people. The streets were flooded with people, cars could not go anywhere. Each train as jam-packed and even then more people would push on making you feel like a sardine. I thought I had been to a crowded place before, but it was never like this. It is incredible that so many people get out to go see the fall leaves, in America it is just another season. But in Japan, it is a much bigger deal, they even have there own word to describe it.


No comments: