Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Blog 2

In class we have mentioned many one word theories. Well if I were to use a one word theory, I would use かわいい. Everything in Japan is sickenly cute. This photo for example is for some sort of snack food, but contains two cute mascots. Some foods are even the mascot. Nacchan a juice drink, but the bottle itself is Nacchan and when you take a drink you drink the essence of Nacchan. Everywhere I look in Japan I can find a cute mascots, stationary, manga characters, logos, keychains, and even the storm drains have cute cats, dogs, and otters on them.

This is a picture taking in a park of a tree. I took this because most of the nature I see in the city seems rigidly controlled. All the rivers are forced on their paths by concrete walls. Every tree I see is trimmed such that they offer very little shade. The trees are forced up and not allowed to grow out. This might have to do with the compact nature of the cities. If trees were allowed to grow normally they would grow into buildings and cause havoc. In Oregon there is green everywhere even its largest cities. It is strange to see so little green, but all land that is habitable is needed for people. I just want some shade.






No comments: